Avanti Schools Trust is inviting volunteers to apply for the role of Design Assistant, within our dedicated branding and design department.
The work of this department has been fundamental to the growth of the organisation, especially in forming the distinct visual profile that Avanti schools are recognised by.
You will support the Brand Manager in the day-to-day running of this department at the Trust’s central office in Edgware. During your time with us, you’ll gain a thorough understanding of brand and sub-brand management, and the application of a visual identity across diverse media. You will gain insights into a profession currently in high demand from all sectors, which requires a broad spectrum of skills beyond those of yesterday’s graphic designer.
- Above average artistic ability
- Above average attention to detail
- Ability to think creatively, communicate logically
- Obvious passion for your craft
- Willingness to adopt new working practices
- Genuine interest in art, design and its role in communication
- Genuine aspiration for a career in the creative industry – you are not a hobbyist
You will also be able to demonstrate the full range of your creative output through a well presented portfolio, either online, as a paged PDF or examples in print. At interview, you will be able to discuss your portfolio in detail.
Essential technical skills:
- Highly proficient in Adobe CS (PS/ID/AI)
- Proficient in Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Publisher
- Comprehension of colour – digital, CMYK and spot
- Good knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Good knowledge of WordPress admin
- Good knowledge of Mac OS
- Competent DSLR photographer
- Excellent written English
- Excellent creative / descriptive writing
- Good people skills
- Good working habits
Typical tasks will include:
- Updates and custom graphics for web and social media
- Building resources/assets in Microsoft software
- Organising and archiving of brand assets/files/images
- Working within Indesign according to brand styleguide
- Liaising with print providers and other manufacturers
- Informing design process through research and creative input
- Photography assignments (travel expenses covered)
The role of Design Assistant is for volunteers only. As such, working hours and the duration of your place with us can be negotiated. However, we would expect a firm commitment of hours per day and days per week. This allows for well integrated training and a tailored, well managed workflow for you, the Design Assistant.
Please email your portfolio (online or PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a CV. In your email, please also offer an outline of your availability over the coming 6 months. Related queries should also be directed to email@example.com or 020 8731 1454.