E-safety is a very important part of children’s education in today’s digital world and is embedded in their learning at Avanti Fields Secondary school. We would like to help our parents and children improve their own understanding of e-safety issues. Students at Avanti Fields secondary school will learn to use the internet and all digital media safely and securely.
As parents you can see how important the internet is to children. It can be used learning platforms, online gaming or expressing themselves and socialising. The internet is a vital tool for these activities and allows for amazing possibilities, but it does create a social network where people are connected without prior knowledge of each other. Children may face a number of situations which include cyber bullying, inappropriate/illegal images and contact from strangers or the possibility of them seeing illegal or inappropriate content.
Avanti Fields Secondary school would like to help you to protect your child online. You can download a checklist of questions that you should go through with them.
Please click here to view the Parental Checklist
These questions will help you start to protect your children online and decrease the risks they face. You can talk with your children regarding their use of the internet while at home.
www.childnet.com recommends the following list of questions.
- Ask your children to tell you about the sites they like to visit and what they enjoy doing online.
- Ask them about how they stay safe online. What tips do they have for you, and where did they learn them? What is OK and not OK to share?
- Ask them if they know where to go for help, where to find the safety advice, privacy settings and how to report or block on the services they use.
- Encourage them to help. Perhaps they can show you how to do something better online or they might have a friend who would benefit from their help and support.
- Think about how you use the internet as a family. What could you do to get more out of the internet together and further enjoy your lives online
Please click here to view the Parental E safety tips
The following sites contain information regarding the usage of social media and guidance for parents to ensure children are kept safe.
At Avanti Fields as part of your child’s curriculum and the development of computer skills, we provide access to the internet through devices such as laptops and chrome books. This is usually supervised by teachers. There are cases where children will use such devices as part of their own independent study sessions. Blocking and monitoring software has been installed to minimise the dangers involved. The use of the World Wide Web and email are essential tools for children in the modern world and we believe we have taken every precaution to reduce risk.
All students have been taught the importance of e-safety as part of their first modules in ICT and Citizenship lessons. Each class discusses how we can all stay safe online and the dangers we may face on the internet. All children will be asked to sign the acceptable use Agreement.
For more information you can contact the school ICT lead and download the E-safety Policy by clicking here.