You may be aware the Government is providing schools with additional ‘Pupil Premium’ funding for each child that currently receives, (or has in the past 6 years received) Free School Meals (FSM) or children who have a parent/carer in the services or children in care. For the duration of their primary years, the school will be given additional funding to support the education of children who qualify for Pupil Premium.
Children in Early Year and Key Stage 1 are all eligible for Universal Free School Meals, but this is different from Free School Meals and Pupil Premium, which is based on income.
You child may be eligible if you get any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit: if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get. This is also called the ‘minimum income floor’.) If your child is eligible for free school meals they will eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they are in on 31 March 2023.
How to apply
For children in EYFS-Year 2 – please complete this paper form (copies available from the School Office): Early Years Pupil Premium and Infant Pupil Premium Checker Form and return completed to the school office and we will submit this to Bristol City Council.
For children in KS2, please go to the Bristol City Council website and complete their Free School Meal/Pupil Premium eligibility checker
If you need support with your application, please see a member of our Business Support team to apply and they will be happy to help you.
Pupil Premium Strategy and Spending
Avanti Gardens School have determined how the Pupil Premium grant will be spent. Details of how we use Pupil Premium funding and the impact it has can be found here:
Pupil Premium Report for 2019-2021
Pupil Premium Strategy Statement 21-22