Avanti Court Primary School was recently contacted by Minal Patel, the Community Engagement Manager at UCL, on behalf of King Georges Hospital, Goodmayes. They were set to open a brand new Antenatal Unit and wished to display artwork by local school children. Harpreet Sahota, Creative Arts Lead at the school, decided to involve the Year 3 Purple class in this fantastic opportunity.
Avanti Court Primary School is becoming known as a creative school and Minal Patel had noticed this after viewing the children’s work via the school website and Avanti Facebook page.
The five pieces submitted were painted onto canvas. All pieces relate to the natural world and new beginnings. The class decided to focus on the following:
- The first piece was painting of the DNA double helix structure, they used sponges to sponge print the background and then used mosaic mirror pieces to design the structure.
- The second piece was making a tree using hand prints as the leaves
- The third piece was a painting of a family (which included both parents and their child)
- The fourth piece was a painting of the natural world- mother nature (a rainbow, birds, trees, clouds, butterflies)
- and the fifth piece was a painting of the life cycle of a butterfly.
The grand opening day was held on Thursday 19th March 2015 and the artists from Purple Class were invited to attend.
Well done to our Year 3 artists!