Applications for a Leave of Absence

Taking your child out of school during term time could be detrimental to your child’s educational progress. You have no legal right to take your child out of school in term time. Agreement of any request is at the discretion of the principal, acting on behalf of the Governing Body, in line with leave rules and dependant on circumstances. Leave will only be granted in extreme circumstances and not for a facility holiday.

If the absence is not granted and the leave is taken anyway, the Educational Welfare Service have the right to issue a fixed penalty of £60 to each parent taking each child out of school. Failure to comply with the Educational Welfare Officer when persistent absence is identified could result in a fine of up to £2500 for each parent per child (or a criminal record).

For unauthorised absence from August 2024, Penalty Notices will increase to £160 per parent per child (discounted to £80 if paid within 21 days).  If there is occasion to issue a second Penalty Notice for unauthorised leave of absence within a rolling 3 year period, it will be issued at the higher rate of £160 per parent per child, with no opportunity to pay at the lower level.  A Penalty Notice cannot be issued if there is a third occasion of unauthorised leave of absence in the rolling 3 year period and it is highly likely that the local authority will take direct prosecution action in the Magistrates’ Court which can result in you receiving a criminal conviction.  Please also be aware that any cases of extended periods of unauthorised absence, linked to holidays or trips away, are highly likely to result in prosecution action by the local authority.

If your child has unauthorised leave of absence prior to the end of the summer term in 2024, you will either be issued with a Penalty Notice of £120 per parent per child (discounted to £60 if paid within 21 days), or, your case will be referred by the Local Authority directly to the Magistrates’ Court.

To apply for leave, please fill in this form and you will be contacted to inform you of the decision.

Fill out my online form.